Well I have been fortunate enough to receive a Carddies Farm set to review.
Carddies are quite simply the Card People to Colour and Go. The farm kit includes 4 people, a scarecrow, chickens, dog, cat, sheep, horse, cow and a pig. There is also a little scene to create the back drop for the characters. The idea is that children colour in the scene and characters, give them names, make up stories about them and keep them in their own little sliding box. The toy itself is self-contained making it highly portable and the perfect toy to have on the go. The characters are made from premium card, the quality of which is evident from the outset. The kit also includes 12 colouring pencils of art pencil standard. I was extremely impressed at how beautifully the pencils colour on the surface of the card and the quality produced. Carddies seem to have thought of everything, even the characters have both front and rear aspects making them even more life like.
Aimed at both boys and girls aged 3-10 years there is a collection of 12 different sets including London, Sports, School, Fairies, Cavemen, Football, Ballet, Knights, Family One and Two, Farm and Nativity and certainly encourages creative and imaginative fun.
The Carddies Farm is a wonderful little toy. Who wouldn’t want their own little people, in their own little box to carry around with them wherever they go?
This is is such a versatile toy, the portability of it certainly appeals to me, car, train, bus, tube and plane journeys come to mind. Brilliant that I could take an entire farm on a weekend break/holiday without it taking up most of the luggage yet be happy in the knowledge that my little one would have a toy that would give them hours of fun.
You can see Carddies in action in this video by Top Toy Reviews http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FRDjCJr1NBQ
It’s not surprising that Carddies has already won a number of awards including;
• Top Drawer 2012 Award for Best New Product for Children
• Shortlisted Gift of the Year Awards 2013 (under Eco Friendly Category)
• Junior Design Awards 2012 Highly Commended (Best Arts and Crafts)
• Parentdish Hot New Toy 2012 ( http://www.parentdish.co.uk/toys-and-games/toy-fair-hot-new-toys-for-2012/ )
• Toy Talk Best Travel Toy 2012
• Theo Paphitis #SBS Award July 2012
• Jacqueline Gold #WOW Winners January 2013
• Shortlisted Red Ribbon Awards for family business July 2013 (under Best Small Business Category)
• BizzieBaby Gold Award (see http://www.bizziebaby.co.uk) May 2014
• Shortlisted as Slow Craft Toy in 2014 Slow Toy Awards Sept 2014 (see http://slowtoymovement.com/ )
And has been featured in the following best toys lists;
• The Guardian Top Ten Christmas Presents for Children (http://www.guardian.co.uk/lifeandstyle/2012/nov/21/christmas-gift-ideas-children ) “Brilliant for fidgety kids on planes, trains, restaurants or just some nice quiet time at home”
• Parentdish Best Stocking Filler http://www.parentdish.co.uk/christmas/christmas-stockings-fillers-for-all-ages-under-ten-pounds/#photo-1
• Toy Talk’s Top Ten Toys for 2012 (http://www.toytalk.co.uk/2012/11/top-ten-toys-2012.html) “Utterly charming”.
• The Mirror’s Christmas Gifts That Keep on Giving (http://www.mirror.co.uk/lifestyle/family/christmas-gift-ideas-for-children-toys-1469755 ) “lovely, traditional ‘slow play’ toy…They’re simple but very engaging and creative”.
Carddies has even been given the thumbs-up by the Good Toy Guide: http://www.goodtoyguide.com/toy/carddies/
This is a well designed, well made children’s toy and extremely versatile. At RRP £8.99 a brilliant gift, perfectly sized for a Christmas stocking too!